(Curé of Ars Religious Education)
Our parish faith formation program is intended to support and enhance the life of faith being lived in the home environment, the "domestic church." We believe that faith formation is carried out in partnership with our entire parish family - our clergy, our pastoral team, our parents, our catechists, and all of our family members both young and old. We must all take our roles seriously and responsibly by fully living our baptismal commitment and giving witness to the importance of following Jesus in our daily lives through our words and actions.
Faith formation is a journey of deepening relationship with Jesus. This relationship is nourished not only by family faith life, but also by participation in the life of the Church in Curé of Ars parish., especially weekly attendance at Mass. Participation in the Sunday Eucharist is the center of our faith - the source from which we draw strength and the summit toward which we strive.
Our faith formation program consists of three stages:
Initiation - Grades 1 and 2
Formation - Grades 3, 4, 5, and 6
Witness - Grades 7 and 8
Entering the Program
1. All families are required to register as members of Curé of Ars Parish.
2. An original baptismal certificate must be submitted at the time of registration for the program.
3. When entering from another parish, if the child has attended faith formation classes, he or she will be placed in our program at the appropriate level. Proof of prior instruction from the child's previous parish must be submitted.
4. Each stage is considered a pre-requisite for the next stage. Students must successfully complete each stage before moving to the next. Celebration of First Reconciliation (Penance) and Eucharist (Communion) requires a two-year preparation.
5. Situations where students are registering without any prior faith formation will be evaluated on an individual basis to determine the placement level. It would not be unusual for such placements to include a requirement that involves the parents and children in some form of faith formation before the beginning of the religious education year.
Early re-registration takes place the third week in April.
New student registration is held during the first week in June.
Classes for Stage I & II (Initiation & Formation) for Grades 1-6 are offered Monday through Thursday afternoons.
Classes for Stage III (Witness) for Grades 7 & 8 are offered on Wednesday evenings.
Grades 1 through 6 sessions begin promptly at 4:00 pm and dismiss in the auditorium at 5:15 pm.
Grades 7 & 8 sessions begin promptly at 7:30 pm and dismiss in the auditorium at 8:45 pm.
Being punctual is a gift we give each other - a gift of respect. Children may arrive up to 15 minutes early for class and are permitted to enter their classroom when catechists are present. No child will be unsupervised at any time. Any student who arrives late must report to the C.A.R.E. Office for a late pass.
If your child(ren) will be absent, please call to notify the C.A.R.E. Office - (516) 623-1400 ext. 101. Please cover the assigned lesson, found on your Parent's Grade Level Calendar, at home. Of course, excessive absenteeism and incomplete lessons and homework may impede your child's formation process and progression to the next level.
If the program is canceled due to inclement weather, it will be announced on News Channel 12 and www.news12.com. You may also call the C.A.R.E. Office at (516) 623-1400 ext. 101.
Parents, please observe parking lot safety - mindful of your speed when traveling on church grounds.
At dismissal, please park your car only in designated spaces. Watch out for children crossing in front of and behind cars. It is important that all parents and caregivers who pick up children learn the name of your child's catechist and your child's room number for dismissal.
Snacks are never permitted or served during class time. This is a safety issue to protect children due to food allergies. Small water bottles are permitted.
We need weekly volunteers as catechists, hall monitors, door security, and various other jobs. Your help is not only greatly appreciated but is essential and is an important witness of stewardship for your child's faith formation. Please call the C.A.R.E. Office to volunteer - (516) 623-1400 ext. 101.